- Inspiration - Be creative and think outside the box. Inspiration can come from photos, TV, websites, or friends.
- Budget - Yes, you should stick to one. The average remodel costs around $26,052. Since this is always a large concern for consumers you can go to NARI where they can provide you with a budgeting worksheet. They also have awesome before and after photos to help with your creativity.
- Hire a Contractor - Ask for help. Just make sure you check their references. You don't want them to start your bathroom project and leave with your cash.
- Layout - Functionality is the key to a great layout. Make sure you pay attention to the International Residential Codes.
- Durable Flooring - The bathroom creates a lot of foot traffic and is characterized by wet surfaces, high temperatures, and a great deal of humidity. An aesthetic appeal is important, but shouldn't be the deciding factor. If you're looking at flooring you should consider tile, wood, laminate, or vinyl. This way you can ensure your flooring will last as long as possible.
- Countertops - These will take as much of a beating as your floor. Make sure you choose a material that won't stain and is strong. Granite is always a number one choice because it comes in different shades and finishes.
- Shower and Bathtub - Customization can turn an ordinary bathroom into an extraordinary one. There are so many options when it comes to showers and bathtubs, you should take advantage of them. If a vintage bathtub is your style, you'll find a variety of options online at Vintage Tub & Bath.
- Fixtures - Pay attention to detail. There are great quality fixtures for your bathrooms and they can be the perfect accessory to your shower and tub.
- Toilets - Size, height, and functionality are three factors to consider when choosing the right toilet for you. Oh yes, and comfort.
- Proper Lighting - No one likes going into a bathroom where they're blinded by fluorescent lighting. Make sure you install several lighting structures to create a delicate contrast. The top four lighting types are task lighting, ambient lighting, accent lighting, and decorative lighting.
Monday, July 16, 2007
New Look with Less Stress
Refurbishment, restoration, redevelopment, or renovate. Call it what you will, but remodeling your bathroom can be expensive, time-consuming, and stressful. With some help from HGTV, I found 10 steps you should take to have a successful remodeling experience.
If you follow these steps you can have a beautiful stressless remodeling experience.