What is mold and what does it look like?
|Black mold collecting around a bathtub.|
Mold is a fungus. Molds are plants that make spores instead of seeds, which float in the air like pollen. They are a common trigger for allergies. Molds are found in damp areas, such as the basement or bathroom, as well as outdoors in the grass, piles of leaves, hay, and mulch.
Here are some tips to help prevent mold in your bathroom.
- Always keep the bathroom window closed, and use a vent fan instead. If you leave the window open it will blow the moisture back into the room.
- Use flooring like wood, ceramic, or tile, which can easily be wiped down after getting wet.
- Use a bath mat when getting out of the shower. To further prevent mold, hand the bath mat up between uses.
- Use after shower rinses, such as Tilex Mold and Mildew Remover, which will prevent the increase of soap scum and mold building up.
- Purchase a dehumidifier to pull moisture out of the air, preventing condensation build-up and mold on cold tile and porcelain surfaces.
- Repair any leaks, and use grout sealer around the edges of your tub and sink. This will prevent mold from forming on grout.
- Keep potted plants out of the bathroom. Their soil is a breeding ground for mold.